Our own Northeastern PA Health Care Quality Unit was in attendance as special needs residents learned to build self-confidence and self-reliance through self-defense program “Building Confidence and Learning a Skill to Stay Safe”. This program was joint effort of Luzerne-Wyoming Counties Mental Health and Developmental Services, Training Council on Quality, Keystone Community Services and the Advocacy Alliance’s Northeastern PA Health Care Quality Unit teamed up with the Robinson’s Martial Arts Institute. The program was designed to teach vocal assertiveness and confidence, along with safe social behaviors, to individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Please read on to learn more about this outstanding program:
WBRE (Channel 28) produced “NEWSMAKER” PROGRAM
TO AIR PANEL DISCUSSION ON
Sunday, February 5 at 5:30 a.m. on WBRE TV
Saturday, February 11 at 6 a.m. on WYOU TV
Sunday, February 12 at 5:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. on WBRE TV
The Honorable Judge William Amesbury, Luzerne County First Assistant District Attorney Samuel Sanguedolce, and Kelly Petherick, Mental Health Crisis Unit Supervisor, Community Counseling Services, recently participated in a panel discussion, in concert with WBRE TV’s Newsmaker Program, to discuss Forensic Mental Health Services in our area. Some of the questions that were covered include:
- What types of crimes are committed by people with mental illness?
- What has been done in Luzerne County over the past few years to address the legal issues for people suffering mental illness?
- What are the alternatives to pursuing legal action against people with mental illness?
- What are other counties doing to address these issues?
- What is the purpose of the free March 21st Forensic MH training (targeted to Police, Fire, EMT, 911 and first responder personnel in Luzerne and Wyoming Counties)
We invite you to watch this local program on these important questions. Any questions, please call the Luzerne-Wyoming Counties MH/MR Program at (570) 825-9441.
See also the brochure regarding police training: Police Training 2012