Advocacy Alliance Timeline from 2001-2011 (by Department)
Advocacy and Community Mental Health Services
- Began Self Injury Education Programs.
- Began providing technical assistance for Northeast Region Community Support Program.
- Began Bullying Prevention Programs in local School Districts.
- Began Open-Minds-Open-Doors (Northeast Area State Anti-Stigma Campaign).
- Began facilitating the Lackawanna County Children and Adolescent Service System Program Meetings (CASSP).
- Advocacy Alliance External Advocates placed in Allentown State Hospital.
- Began to employ Certified Peer Specialists.
- Started Suicide Prevention Programs.
- Contracted for HealthChoices Consumer and Family Satisfaction Team in Lackawanna/Susquehanna, Luzerne/Wyoming Counties.
- Advocacy Alliance External Advocate placed in Hickory Run Youth Development Camp.
- Changed name of Doorway Drop-In Center to Recovery Center.
- Contracted for HealthChoices Consumer and Family Satisfaction Team in Schuylkill, Columbia/Montour/Synder/Union, Tioga, Wayne Counties.
- Contracted for HealthChoices Consumer and Family Satisfaction Team in Carbon/Monroe/Pike Counties.
- Opened offices in Bloomsburg and Lehighton.
- Began WarmLine in Lackawanna/Susquehanna Counties.
- Developed Mental Health Curriculum Framework.
- Began WarmLines in Schuylkill, Wayne, and Carbon/Monroe/Pike Counties.
- Contracted for HealthChoices Consumer and Family Satisfaction Team in Huntingdon/Mifflin/Juniata and Centre Counties.
- Conducted focus groups, support groups, and telephone support line for families affected by the 2009 Luzerne County Juvenile Justice Scandal.
- Pennsylvania receives Garret Lee Smith Youth Suicide Prevention in Primary Care Federal Grant. Advocacy Alliance becomes Site Coordinator for grant implementation in Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties.
- Advocacy Alliance begins Mental Health Justice Project. First fully self-funded community project.
- Contracted for Community Support Program in Carbon/Monroe/Pike Counties.
- Began WarmLines in Huntingdon/Mifflin/Juniata and Centre Counties.
Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Services
- Began Incident Management Services for Developmental Disabilities (grown to presently serve 12 Pennsylvania counties).
- Began Self Advocacy Day in East Stroudsburg for Carbon/Monroe/Pike Counties.
- IM4Q becomes statewide initiative; Advocacy Alliance conducts IM4Q in 8 Pennsylvania counties.
- Published Mapping the Future Workbook.
- Partnered with Healthy Northeast to conduct Gatekeeper Trainings on Depression and Social Isolation for Older Adults.
- Began media campaign for Depression and Suicide Amongst Older Adults.
- Eastern HCQU began in Carbon/Monroe/Pike.
- Trainings for HCQU made available on the web.
- South Central HCQU began in Hershey.
General HCQU comments:
- Health Care Quality Units provide trainings for direct care staff who work with individuals with developmental disabilities.
- There are 8 HCQU’s in PA, 3 of them are conducted by the Advocacy Alliance.
- Advocacy Alliance employs the only Certified Sex Educator within 8 HCQU’s across the commonwealth.
- In 1982, 13 Mental Health Consumers received Rep Payee services from the Advocacy Alliance. Today, over 2,400 consumers receive Rep Payee from the Advocacy Alliance.
- Largest Rep Payee program east of the Mississippi.
- CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) program begins in Lackawanna County.
- Early Intervention Evaluation Teams begin in Lackawanna/Susquehanna Counties.
- 1980: Advocacy Alliance employs 2 staff.
- 1990: Advocacy Alliance employs 5 staff.
- 2000: Advocacy Alliance employs 18 staff.
- 2011: Advocacy Alliance employs 90 full time, 125 part time staff.